How To Choose The Perfect Cremation Urn? In a world of almost endless options, the last place you want to be overwhelmed is when choosing an urn for someone you lost. You want something beautiful, durable, well-made. But you also want it to memorialize your loved one and be a visual reminder of the legacy that they left behind.
How To Choose The Perfect Cremation Urn
So where do you begin?
- First, you have to think about the life you want to honor. Keep that in the forefront of your mind while you explore the options.
- Second, consider your budget. How much can you spend on the urn?
- Third, consider your timeline. Do you need it fast, or can you take some time to create a custom-made urn?
Once you have these questions answered, you can move on to determine which type of cremation urn is best for you.
What material is best for urns?
American-made hardwood is a timeless, durable option for cremation urns. When wooden cremation urns are built skillfully and finished properly, they will withstand many challenging conditions.
If you choose to bury your urn, you will want to place your urn into a burial vault. But if you choose to keep the urn and display it, the wooden urn will fit into any setting or decor seamlessly.
If your loved one is cremated, there are many different options for you to consider when purchasing an urn for their ashes. Some questions you will ask as you begin the process will be:
– Will we bury the urn?
– Will we display the urn in our home?
– Will we place the urn in a mausoleum?
– Will we scatter the ashes?
Whether you choose burial, display, or mausoleum, the urn you choose for your loved one will be a beautiful reflection of the life lived and the legacy they leave behind.
While there are an almost endless amount of urn options available, let’s narrow it down to some of our favorite options for keepsake urns to honor the person or people you’ve lost.
What are the different types of urns?
Traditional Wooden Urn: Whether you bury or display your urn, the simplicity and beauty of a handmade wooden urn is a timeless option.
Maple Nail wooden urns are made individually by hand, by skilled craftsmen. While the design is simple, the process of building it is complex and detailed.
A lot of heart goes into each urn we make. The wood urn can be made of a variety of hardwoods, such as Maple, Oak, and Walnut, and will make a beautiful statement at the memorial service as well as in the home if you choose to display it.
To put it simply, wooden urns are traditional, understated, and beautiful.
- Custom Engraved Cremation Urn: If you love the look and style of a simple wooden urn, but want to add a little extra detail to remember your loved one, consider having your urn laser engraved. With laser engraving, the options are almost limitless.
– You can engrave one or multiple sides of your urn.
– To customize, add the name, dates, and a simple statement about your loved one.
– You can add a Bible verse or poem that is meaningful to those left behind.
– To make an urn completely custom, have some artwork that speaks to the departed’s hobbies or interests.
Laser engraving can either be done at the time of purchase, or added at a later date by a local laser engraving shop. If you choose to engrave when you purchase at Maple Nail, we will work with you directly to be sure that your urn is personalized in a way that truly reflects the legacy of your loved one.
- Memorial Plate Funeral Urn: If you plan to put your urn in a mausoleum or display it on a shelf, a memorial plate is a wonderful option.
Available in either brass or silver options, you can engrave the name, short phrase, or dates of your loved one in a classic and stately way.
The small memorial plate is affixed to either the front or top of the urn showing the viewer who is being memorialized inside of the urn. It’s a simple and beautiful way to add a little elegance to the traditionally plain urn.
- Custom Designed Wooden Cremation Urn: If you want to take a non-traditional approach when choosing an urn, you may consider a completely custom-designed wooden urn. One of the things we are most proud of here at Maple Nail is our ability to work one-on-one with our customers to dream up, design, and create a unique, one-of-a-kind urn for our customers.
The process of designing these special urns is a bit longer than with our core collection urns, but the end result will be a memorial that gives homage to something very special about your loved one.
Some of the custom urns we’ve done include Christian Urns, an Organ Urn for a musician, and a book urn for an avid reader.
All of these urns were dreamed up between John and the customer and made to order based on the customer’s ideas and requests. The process of making these custom urns is very rewarding, and you will end up with an urn you won’t see anywhere else. Because it was custom-made just for you!